Hey everyone! This book was fun but not all that different than other SJM book so I’m sort of disappointed but it was still entertaining! This was a buddy read with one of my friends from Discord, Jamsu and I’m glad about that because getting through this book alone would be a nightmare! You can see her review here.
Bound by blood.
Tempted by desire.
Unleashed by destiny.
Bryce Quinlan had the perfect life—working hard all day and partying all night—until a demon murdered her closest friends, leaving her bereft, wounded, and alone. When the accused is behind bars but the crimes start up again, Bryce finds herself at the heart of the investigation. She’ll do whatever it takes to avenge their deaths.
Hunt Athalar is a notorious Fallen angel, now enslaved to the Archangels he once attempted to overthrow. His brutal skills and incredible strength have been set to one purpose—to assassinate his boss’s enemies, no questions asked. But with a demon wreaking havoc in the city, he’s offered an irresistible deal: help Bryce find the murderer, and his freedom will be within reach.
As Bryce and Hunt dig deep into Crescent City’s underbelly, they discover a dark power that threatens everything and everyone they hold dear, and they find, in each other, a blazing passion—one that could set them both free, if they’d only let it.
With unforgettable characters, sizzling romance, and page-turning suspense, this richly inventive new fantasy series by #1 New York Times bestselling author Sarah J. Maas delves into the heartache of loss, the price of freedom—and the power of love.
– The mystery of Danika’s death was really interesting! It wasn’t easy to figure out and SJM really surprised me!
– Finding who had Luna’s Horn was another thing that really intrigued me. I did like the final reveal about it too!
– Bryce was quite a badass woman who never backed down. I did like her character because she acknowledged she was a bitch. Also, I loved one scene where she kills this person which I won’t mention because I don’t want to spoil it for you
– I loved her love and loyalty to Danika! Most of Maas’ friendships are not well developed or are toxic but I really liked this one! Especially because of the end scene which proves their love for each other even more!
– While the mystery was nice, it was stretched a little too long in my opinion. The book could’ve been shorter and easier to read! Honestly I skimmed through a to in the first 200- 300 pages to make it far enough to actually want to read it.
– The first few chapters were a lot of information dump which wasn’t all that fun to read.
– Her males were too masculine as always. And one sec, these are people not animals who are roaring, growling and snarling.
– All her characters were sort of recycled like Bryce reminds me so much of Celaena, especially her early years and Hunt is Rowan and Rhysand made into one all powerful character
– The plots seemed pretty recycled too and it was hard to not notice the similarities between all her books
– Well, the ending made the book quite a typical SJM book which really irritated me.
– okay, so to add diversity she just dropped it in for like 2 seconds and went on to never talk about it again which really irked me!
– the romance between Hunt and Bryce wasn’t very well developed either – it was like he was pining after Shahar one moment and forgot about her the next and fell for Bryce
– What the hell, they said I love you way too fast – because, baby, no one falls in love that quick
– Also, yes, they had fun banter but they should’ve remained friends
Who’s betting that Hunt gets replaced in the next book? I am and I’ll be glad for it 🙂
MY RATING: 3 STARS
WILL I READ THE NEXT BOOK IN THE SERIES?
Probably. The epilogue kind of intrigued me and while there are a lot of problems with this book, I knew that going in as well. It honestly depends on my mood *shrugs*
SHOULD YOU READ IT?
There are a lot of problems and I’ve not discussed them in detail and gone into the specifics but if you like SJM and don’t mind putting up with her regular bullshit, go for it!
Have you read this book yet? Did you like it? Are you planning to read it in the future? Tell me in the comments below!