The age-old unending discussion of whether E-books are better or Physical books? Well, let us discuss and settle the matter, for now at least.
1. Pretty Covers. Let us face facts, we all judge a book by its cover and who doesn’t like a pretty little book lying on the bookshelf? The smell of the book, and how it looks when arranged on the bookshelf does give you an immense amount of satisfaction. E-books, on the other hand, are just inside one device. You can’t touch them, or flip the pages and anticipate what is going to happen. It just is inside the device. No inner satisfaction, just the books without any feelings. A point to physical books then.
2. Cost. Let us face facts, Physical books cost 3 times as much as E-books, but then the Kindle costs a lot too. Though, it can be argued that the Kindle is a one-time investment and then you can keep buying cheap books on it and use it for 3-4 years at least. And that is about paperbacks, hardcovers cost twice as much so when you are broke, e-books do seem like a better option. Less money, yet many books. The e-books definitely win this one then.
3. Battery. Books will never die, but your e-reader/ Kindle will. It will leave you, maybe in the middle of the most important part of your book and then you will have to charge it, wait and till then, the extreme emotions that you were feeling are gone.
This one goes to Physical books, who will be your best friend for as long as you live. They won’t leave you hanging until the author decided to end it that way.
4. Ruin. You can spill coffee or cookie crumbs on your book and then the pages will be ruined. The crumbs will stick between the pages while the coffee will leave a stain on the pages. Your e-book, however, will remain safe, unless you drop a drink and ruin the entire thing.
5. Night Reading. Let us all face it, the night is the best time to read and e-books are the best for it. You can adjust the light on your device and read comfortably well into the morning. For physical books, on the other hand, you need a lamp or some light source falling directly on it. No such drama with e-books and so they win this round too.
6. Portability. Let us say that you are going for a 2-week vacation so you will be able to read maybe 7 books? It will obviously be hard to make space for 7 books in your luggage when you are unable to cram even your clothes into it. What if you don’t want to read a particular book that you brought along with you?
Your Kindle can however just fit into your hand-carry bag and you can have even up to a 100 books on it and can choose among them. No need to be forced to read a particular book even when you don’t want to as you have options! You also can not carry a physical book to a party or to your office or in the car, they can’t be with you always. So, e-books for the win again.
7. Progress. With a physical book, you can see how far into the book you are and when an intense scene comes up, you can assure yourself that it will be resolved well by seeing how many pages are still left. E-books, on the other hand, do show you the page number but are unable to capture the exact feeling. Thus, Physical books get this point.
8. Wait. Buying an e-book will make it available on your e-reader immediately while if you order a book from the internet, you will have to wait for it to be packaged and shipped. Although, by going to the bookstore, you can get a physical copy immediately too. This one is tied up, then.
9. Health issues. E-readers will surely harm your eyes. Also, while feeling intense emotions, you can hurl a book across the room but not an e-reader as they are sensitive and will be broken beyond repair. Physical books will not be damaged by such silly little things that all of us do quite a lot of times.
It makes that a 5-5 draw for both Physical Books and E-Books. Seems like the feud between the two is never-ending. Both have their pros and cons.
I, personally like physical books better. What are your views? Tell me in the comments.
Peace out cuties ♥